Thursday, February 23, 2012

Frozen tomato

Last year our garden produced so much abundance we wanted to save all the excess for winter. I must admit the thought of canning has not appealed to me much. It seems to involve so much work, time and household energy. I tried, instead, freezing everything. I would flash freeze just about everything on a cookie sheet before dumping it into a Ziploc bag. This prevented everything from clumping together in the bag and then we could pour out just what we needed and not have to defrost the whole bag. I did not have any doubts this would work with most everything but I wondered about tomatoes. Hey, nothing ventured nothing gained right? So I just chopped them up, just like I was making salsa. Then into the bags. I laid the bags flat to freeze so they would be easy to store. 
Last night I took the first bag out to use. AWESOME! DELICIOUS! EASY! We have a freezer this year and a bigger garden planned!

The Recipe
Caramelize some onions and garlic. Add the tomatoes and whatever other veggies you have in the fridge. We used carrots, broccoli, celery, I added some precooked brown rice. If you still have too much liquid from the tomatoes then add in some extra rice (not cooked). Just before it is ready add some fresh baby spinach and kale. On the plate top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and provolone cheese. 


 

1 comment: