Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Smoothies

I have been thinking about posting recipes for some time now...here it is.

I like to cook, I like to create my own recipes. I frequently make dinner by pulling things out of the fridge/pantry as I cook until a meal appears.

We are vegetarians, however we do eat some wild caught fish. Technically that makes us pescatarians.

I am going to start with one of our favorite quick meals, usually used for breakfast or lunch and sometimes a snack. It is also great when Scout is not feeling well, it packs in a lot of nutrition and she easily and happily slurps it down...the smoothie.

The Smoothie

Basic ingredients in all our smoothies:

Plain Greek Yogurt (24 grams of Protein) for some reason only the plain yogurt packs this many grams of protein.
Stoneyfields yogurt this adds some sweetness and I use a whole milk version for Scout who still has a developing brain!
Flax you will find out I put this in just about everything.
Frozen fruit chunks I get bananas from the grocer when they are marked down and freeze them into chunks for smoothies and baking.
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Milk

We have a large blender so we can make a batch for everyone at one time. Let it run long enough for everything to get well blended and smooth.

Some other ingredients we like to put in
spinach you can't even taste it but you know its there!
chocolate
nut butter
fruit that is getting to ripe
fresh pineapple and coconut
fruit juice instead of the milk

there are no limits here and no measuring (you will find I don't do much of that anyway) just put in what you like and don't be afraid to experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment