Sunday, April 10, 2011

Horsekids with reins

The horsekids made a new progressive step. Learning to use reins. Interestingly, the one who asked, a boy, last year had no interest in EVER riding with reins.

There is no rush in learning to "ride" before you learn how to "be". Riding is a fairly small part of keeping a horse. There is the manure cleaning, fence and barn upkeep, feeding, hay stacking, health, brushing, hoof care, tack upkeep, if your horse doesn't live at home there is the travel to them and back. It is a labor of love. We love it, caring for them, watching the herd dynamics, listening to them talk to us as we move around the yard ( I am talking about the mental stuff), just being with them. Yes , we love the riding too. I want the kids to know all of it, to be sensitive, understanding, quiet, intuitive, to sit atop, to relax, to breath, to trust their instincts, to trust their voice from the horse. Only then will they be ready to communicate and ride "with" their horse.

I try not to focus on too many things at once. It will all come together in the end. It is not necessary to overwhelm them with too many things to think about at once. They can sit quietly and confidently now, they can communicate softly, they are ready to learn the reins. I use a rope halter with reins. The kids hold the reins while I lead the horse. They are still using a bareback pad, no saddle yet. I can instruct them and let them practice without worrying about being on their own. I let them do all the work and am only there if needed. They can feel their progress...I can see the smiles. They know the sounds the horses make when they are happy...all the horses made them.


How long will we do this? I don't know, until they are ready for the next step. That's what I do, no agenda really. We do what feels right in the moment. The horse and rider must be able to be ready together...a partnership.


Have I told you about the mounting? The kids climb onto the big wooden spools. They hold the lead line and ask (mentally) for their horse to allow them onto their back. When the horse is ready he/she walks over and sides up to the spool. They can all do it, beautiful to watch.


Finally, there is the itty bitty boy, he just turned two. He has been coming with his sister since he was 6 months old. He never liked the animals much. He rides now! Requesting his helmet as soon as he arrives. A big grin plastered on his face when on board his mount.

That other boy, I have never seen his grin so big as I did this day. Riding with reins.

No comments:

Post a Comment