Saturday, December 25, 2010

Scout's stocking

Coming onto this Christmas I still had not made Scout a stocking. Last year she was too little to need one and I hadn't decided what the perfect stocking would be yet. But, time was ticking and she needed one this year so I had to get started. When I am building, crafting, creating I don't use patterns, plans, recipes much. I will use them to spark ideas but then I change and add to my liking, mostly as I go along, rarely do I do much preplanning. This stocking was no different. I started by looking in the bags and bags of fabric I had. I grabbed several pieces that were to my liking. OOOOHH, there is some fabric from the wedding I must use that (first light bulb moment).

I have never made a crazy quilt but have always liked the look and the idea of it. I would sew scraps together to give the stocking that look. I don't know how to knit (though I would like to learn) and I love crazy yarn. I decided to use the crazy yarn to sew the scraps together.

I have a box of old buttons...put some on that will look cool.

I took some more yarn and braided it into a rope. The I used the rope to spell out SCOUT. It is turning into a thing of beauty. Now I am thinking...maybe this is the idea. I am always seeking an idea to make something to sell. I have lots of them, by the way, just can't ever settle on one. One reason is it has to hold my interest for a long time, I can't make the same thing over and over, I would get bored. People can send me their scraps of material from important events or just give me a list of fav colors etc. I can piece it together into a memory stocking. This would be different every time...perfect. I have an Etsy account I just haven't put anything there yet. Maybe this will be the start.

As I am finishing the stocking the final light bulb moment hits! The horse and dog fetish I made and wore on my wedding dress. I have been waiting for a great idea to hit about how to use that.....it now lives on the stocking.



Mery Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment